Auto Maintenance Tips for a Healthy Transmission
- Check driveway for leaks
- Transmission fluid does not burn like motor oil does in an engine, so if the level is low there is a leak somewhere.
- Every month check the level and condition of the transmission fluid. To do this have the vehicle running, remove the dip stick, and check the level. If the fluid, which should be red transparent oil, is low, dirty, discolored or has a burned smell you should have it checked out as soon as possible.
- Never shift into reverse or park until the car comes to a complete stop.
- Never shift from park when the engine RPM is higher the normal idle.
- Always hold the brake down when shifting from park.
- Always refer to the owner's manual and follow manufacturer's recommendations.
- If you hear and grinding or growling noise from your vehicle when you start to move forward or move in reverse, this noise could be a transmission problem. You should have the transmission checked out or repaired as soon as possible.